20 January 2011

I would walk 500 miles (or not)

I would lie if I told you that the best moment of todays hike from hell was something else jumping into the water afterwards (that by the way must have been at least 20 degrees celsius).

Although I did not really enjoy walking for what felt like an eternity with blisters on my feet, being so hot and exhausted that I was going to collapse any second, it was a really healthy experience.

What I did today showed me that in a way I can do anything if I tell myself to do it.

The last 500 metres of the walk, I did not have any power left at all, but I knew that if I sat down, I wouldn’t be able to make it.
Then I saw the miracle.
Water.
Sea.
I felt a slight breeze brush against my face, that was drenched in sunscreen and sweat, and I must say that it was the most beautiful breeze of my life.
With nothing but the knowledge of the sea being so close driving me further, I walked with new power. It was not a positive power, it was more like how a star will go brighter and bigger when it soon is time for it to die.

When I was on top of the sand dune, I took of my shoes and my socks. I did not care that I bursted and got sand in all the blisters.
On the way down I threw off my clothes, because, luckily, I was wearing my bikini underneath.

I just used the last breath I had to fall on my stomach into the water.
I could breathe now.

After relaxing in the water for a minute or so, I could actually see.

Of course, everything was just running around like Ussain Bolt setting the world record, but I now had a feeling of what was up and what was down.

I then saw that I almost threw my clothes on an old couple, solving crosswords in the sun.

The rest of my stay at the beach was probably the happiest beach visit I’ve had in my life.

This was also the first time I ever went into the Australian waters by my own will.

1 comment: