20 January 2011

"Or I'll cave in"

I was sitting in the front of the bus, by myself since our seats were stolen. At least so I thought. Later I realized something really interesting. Why did it disturb me that somebody sat in a certain seat in the bus? It is not like we are assigned seats.
I think that it is an interesting phenomenon, and an amazing example of group psychology.

Let me explain what I mean. We choose our seats in the bus, and we are happy with them, and even if we are not happy with them, we will still accept where we are “supposed” to sit.
When somebody then comes along and then completely (from our point of view) comes and disturbs the order, we react strongly, since the person is not following the “rules”.

This made me feel ashamed that I wasn’t the one to disturb the peace and pattern that everybody was following, but then came to think of something. Do we really need to rebel all the time? And question everything? I mean, there is so many things in the world that are wrong, that sometimes I get tired of questioning. Especially since it is not really socially appreciated.
I mean, is it worth it?

“sqeeeeeeeeeek!” I was brutally grabbed out of my train of thoughts and deep philosophies when our ever so jolly global studies teacher (no names mentioned) “accidentally” held the microphone too close to the speaker so that it

We got out of the bus to head for todays adventures which was
*drumroll*
caves!

The caves were really beautiful and the guide had many interesting things to tell us. When they told us it was time to leave, it felt way to early, I felt like there was so much more to know.

One really interesting thing about the caves was when the guide turned the lights off.
It was completely black, you could not see anything at all. I imagine that is what it would be like to become blind after an accident.

The interesting part was how everybody reacted to this.
People couldn’t stay still, everybody had to touch each other, and people couldn’t be quiet.

I believe that the reason for this is the fact that humans are such control freaks. We need to know what is going on around us to be able to feel safe, and when we then loose one of our senses, we have to use what we have left.
Opening the door to the caves to get out was like being smashed in the head.
It was so bright, it was so warm, it was so humid, it was so loud, it was so..
much.

When you let your senses rest for a while, and then wake them up is a really strong experience.

I recommend for everybody to do that every once in while, just to get an understanding of how much we actually use our senses every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment